Match Report – Plymouth Argyle Ladies vs Leicester City Women

Argyle ladies brave effort to reach the fifth round came unstuck on a difficult Coach Road pitch to end a remarkable 22 game winning run.
Argyle started on the front foot with Zoe Cunningham putting in Natasha Knapman whose shot was well saved.
Five minutes later a good run and cross from Amber Pollock was well defended.
Leicester took the lead in the 13th minute when goalkeeper Michaela Phillips pushed a free kick which was going wide into the path of Charlotte Greengrasss who made no mistake.
This settled the visitors who started to play the ball around confidently but it was Argyle who had the next chance when Cunningham fed Knapman who was denied by a brave intervention by the goalkeeper.
Argyle were finding it difficult to get into the game with many passes going astray. Thankfully Phillips was on hand to make two good saves to keep the score at half time 1-0 .
Argyle got the best possible start to the second half when in the 49th minute, Becky Dandridge worked her way inside before passing to Cunningham whose fierce drive struck the base of a post into the path of the Predatory Knapman.
Argyle were playing much better until the hour mark when a poor clearance by Phillips led to a rash challenge by Katie Middleton that resulted in a penalty which Rosie Axton fired in the spot kick although Phillips did get a hand to the ball.
Argyle were now in full flow and only a last ditch tackle denied Amber Pollock a run on goal.
The game was becoming more open as both teams pushed for the next goal.
Argyle substituted Becky Atkins for Ezme Wells.  Mollie Taylor came on for Kayley Lane with Kayleigh Brown replacing Becky Dandridge as Argyle battled to get the equalising goal.
Argyle’s commitment to the cause resulted in three players being cautioned, Becky Atkins, Zoe Cunningham and Katie Middleton.
Unfortunately Argyles fate was sealed in the final minute when the defence failed to cut out a right wing cross which was diverted into the net by substitute Leigh Dugmore.
Argyle didn’t give up and a great cross from Wells looped up into the air for captain Katie Middleton to head home.
Unfortunately that proved to be the final action of the game which was thoroughly enjoyed by the 208 hardy souls who roundly applauded the girls as they came off the field.
Scroll to top